Reliable NDT Ultrasonics and Repeatable Results
Portable Ultrasonic Scanners
Get reliable UT results faster. With solutions for joint scanning, the complex tasks of butt weld and bond seam inspection transform into reliable results—easy. As bond seam and butt welding techniques become the most commonly used joining technologies, automated and portable NDT inspections must be designed to meet high industry standards.
The PALM scanner, PALM Flat Scanner, and Bond Scanner, meet increasing inspection expectations manual technologies can’t. With innovative technology, you can evaluate overall joint health, identify future problem areas, give immediate feedback, and ensure the quality and safety of your assets.
Featured Ultrasonic Portable Scanner Solutions (NDT)
Bond Scanner for Glue Line and Seam Inspection
Waygate Technologies' (formerly known as GE Inspection Technologies) Bond Scanner is usually simply clamped on two body panels joined by a seam bond. The innovative array design (patent pending) enables the array to adopt also to contoured parts as commonly used in automobile designs and covering bond lines up to 32 mm width. Since the spring-loaded encoder wheel is located on the other side of the plate combination a firm and stable position of the array can be realized. The specially designed protection foil reduces the needed couplant to a minimum and enables a manual, one-handed scanning. Complete sections of car body bond seams (e.g. on hoods, doors or other mounted parts) can be inspected in just one scan.
- Flexible, adaptive 10 MHz array
- 64 elements, 0.5 mm pitch for 32 mm coverage
- Spring loaded and sealed encoder for optimal positioning
- Protective foil for reducing wear and couplant need
- Ergonomic handling, smooth scanning operation
- Silicone oil free
Palm Flat Scanner for General UT Weld Inspection
Encoded Phased-Array inspection of welds offers the benefits of a reduced inspection time, while increasing the probability of detection and providing a comprehensive documentation of the inspection results directly on the instrument. The PALM Flat Scanner is a versatile and ergonomic inspection tool featuring an integrated encoder and magnetic wheels, allowing vertical and overhead operation. The scanner can be used on diameters larger than 90 mm for circumferential scanning and 200 mm for axial scanning.
- Compact, rigid, lightweight and robust (IP67, stainless)
- Low profile to pass clearances as low as 30 mm (1.2”) dependent on probe
- Reproducible adjustment of the probe position based on an integrated ruler
- Adaptive to various probes and wedges
- Integrated robust encoder, which can easily be replaced by the operator
- Spring-loading and gimbaling of probes
- Magnetic wheels to stick to tube and for straight guiding
- Manual brake for hand-free locking at any position
- Easy switching from axial to circumferential direction and back
- Operable by a single person
- Easy to set up
- CE compliant
NDT inspections of circumferential butt welds are a complex task. This type of joint is found in various structures including small diameter tubes in boilers. Experts inspect these to find defects which could result in the failure of a component, possibly inducing a human or environmental hazard.
Four factors define the quality of these inspections:
- Inspection duration
- Measurement precision and reliability
- Quality data management