USN 60 / 60L: Portable Ultrasonic Flaw Detector
The combination of the rugged USN durability, 11 hours of battery operation, fast rotary knob operation, outstanding ultrasonic performance, and the “square wave pulser” all combine to form a powerful portable ultrasonic inspection tool. The USN 60 series was specifically designed for use in direct sunlight and operation at extreme temperatures. These new characteristics, along with increased battery life, make the instruments ideally suited for outdoor use.
Depending on the application's challenges, you have the choice between the USN 60 which has a range of 0.040” to 1100” (1 mm to 28 m) at steel velocity, or the USN 60L version with a range of 0.040” to 480” (1 mm to 12 m).
We used to be GE Inspection Technologies, now we’re Waygate Technologies, a global leader in NDT solutions with more than 125 years of experience in ensuring quality, safety and productivity.
USN 60 / 60L Features
- Rugged USN durability
- 11 hours of battery operation
- Fast rotary knob operation
- Outstanding ultrasonic performance
- Extreme temperature use (-20°C to +55°C /-4°F to 130°F)
- Hi-resolution color LCD
- 4 selectable vibrant display color schemes to match lighting conditions
- Gates and gate functions color-coded for easy identification
- Simple operation with fast rotary knob adjustments
- Auto CAL makes calibration fast & easy
- PRF (pulse repetition frequency) in spike mode: USN 60 = 15 Hz to 6 kHz; USN 60L = 15 Hz to 2 kHz
- 2 independent gates monitor amplitude and sound path distance for both flaw detection and thickness measurement applications
- 250 KHz to 25 MHz frequency range
A 6 kHz pulse repetition frequency, real-time analog, and TTL outputs make the USN 60 flaw detectors series ideal for a wide range of automated systems testing applications. The exclusive SmartView feature displays even the shortest echoes for critical scanning and rotating part inspections.
The quality, durability, dependability, and ease of use that you have come to expect of Krautkramer’s popular USN Series of instruments remains. From rugged field inspections to high-resolution thin measurements, long acoustically clean materials, and immersion systems, the USN 60 flaw detector family extends the range of applications that a portable instrument can perform. Furthermore, the selectable 450V Square Wave Pulser satisfies a wide range of tough-to-penetrate applications, such as difficult to penetrate metallic applications and especially non-metals inspection like composite materials.
- RF display mode enhances signal evaluation and bond inspection of dissimilar materials
- 4 selectable damping settings (50, 75, 150, 500 ohms) for optimum probe performance
- 1 mm to 28 m (0.040” to 1100”) range (in steel) covers thin to lengthy acoustically clean materials
- dB REF key evaluates subsequent echoes gain value and amplitude against the highest echo in Gate A when activated
- VGA Output provides an easy way to connect to a PC monitor or PC projector
- IF (Interface) Gate Option for automatic start of the display, Gate A, Gate B, and/or DAC / TCG for immersion testing applications
- RF Output Option outputs the raw RF waveform via a standard Lemo connector for further analysis
- BEA (Backwall Echo Attenuator) Option allows independent gain control of the region under Gate B for backwall echo monitoring
- Range USN 60 - 0.040” to 1100” (1 mm to 28 m) at steel velocity; range selectable in fixed steps or continuously variable
- Range USN 60L - range is 0.040” to 480” (1 mm to 12 m)
- Material velocity - Continuously adjustable from 0.0394 to 0.6299 inches/μs (1000 to 16,000 m/s); 65 selectable material velocities
- Display delay - -20 to 3498 μs in steel (dependent on range)
- Probe delay/zero offset - 0 to 999.9 μs
- Damping - 50, 75, 150, 500 ohms
- Gain - 0 to 110 dB adjustable in selectable steps 0.1, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 6.0, user definable, and locked
- Test modes - Pulse echo, dual, and thru-transmission
- Pulser - Square wave excitation pulse
- Pulse voltage (Square wave pulser mode) - 50 to 450 V scrollable in 10 V adjustments
- Pulse width (Square wave pulser mode) - Tunable from 50 to 1000 ns in 10 ns adjustments
- Pulse energy (Spike mode) - Low, high
- Pulse repetition frequency USN 60 - Autolow, autohigh, manually adjustable from 15 to 6000 Hz (spike mode) and 15 to 2000 Hz in square wave mode, in 5 Hz increments, external trigger (spike mode only)
- Pulse repetition frequency USN 60L - Limited to 2000 Hz in both spike and square wave mode
- Bandwidth (amplifier bandpass) - 0.25 to 25 MHz with 10 selectable settings including broadband
- Gate monitors - Two independent flaw gates controllable over entire sweep range
- Measurement modes - Zero-to-first, multi-echo with selectable flank or peak detection
- Rectification - Positive halfwave, negative halfwave, fullwave, RF
- Reject (suppression) - 0 to 80% linear
- Units - Inch, millimeter, or microsecond selectable
- Operating temperature - -20° to 55°C (-4° to 130°F); -25° to 70ºC (-13° to 158 º F ) storable
- Languages - Selectable English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Dutch, Russian, Czech, Romanian, Slovakian
- Probe connectors - BNC or Lemo selectable at order
- Keypad - International symbols
- Battery power - Lithium Ion battery pack; NiMH, NiCad or alkaline cells substitutable
- Battery life - 11 hours on Li-Ion battery pack
- Size - 11.1” W x 6.75” H x 6.25” D (282 x 171 x 159 mm)
- Weight - 6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Li-Ion battery; 3.5 lbs.(1.6 kg) without battery
- Color leg - Easy identification of leg and skip distances for angle beam inspection in A-scan or grid background colors
- Weld rating calculation - Simplifies the rating of weld indications according to AWS specification D1.1, (formula D=A-B-C)
- Warranty - 2 year conditional warranty on parts and labor; free 2nd year contingent upon return of unit within 13 months of purchase for recertification
- Dust proof/dripping water proof - As per IEC 529 specification for IP54 classification
- Compliance - EMC/EMI: EN 55011:2007, EN 61000-6-2:2005
- DAC/TCG option - Multiple curve DAC (Distance Amplitude Curve)/TCG (Time Corrected Gain) for echo amplitude adjustment and evaluation, 40 dB dynamic range, 12 dB/μs slope, record up to 16 points, recorded points are individually editable, new points can be inserted. Display four additional curves based upon dB offset feature from the originally recorded DAC curve. TCG attenuation and transfer correction features enable use on other materials and surface conditions.
- IF (Interface) gate option - For automatic start of the display, gate A, gate B, and/or DAC/TCG for immersion testing applications.
- DGS option - Displays a curve for a particular equivalent reflector size as a function of the distance from the probe to the reflector for 25 narrow banded probes. The ERS (Equivalent Reflector Size) function automatically calculates the corresponding equivalent reflector diameter in mm or inches for any echo in the measurement gate.
- BEA Backwall Echo Attenuator option - Allows independent gain control of the region under gate B for backwall echo monitoring.
- VGA output option - Provides an easy way to connect to a PC monitor or PC projector for viewing by large audiences or training purposes.
- RF output option - Outputs the raw RF waveform via a standard Lemo #00 connector for further analysis.
- HiSPD High-Speed Digital Output option - Outputs amplitude or thickness values 20 times faster than RS 232 port.